Friday, August 3, 2007

Fun in the sun....kind of...it rained a lot

ok....here is the new post that I sent the email out about. Below you will find my email about the retreat and how things went. Below my account of the retreat you will find many photos from the retreat. Now don´t hurt your finger trying to scroll past all of my email because you want to get down to the photos. We love you all!!!!!


Lance and Sarita




“Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD! Blessed are those who keep His (God’s) testimonies, who seek Him with the whole heart!”
Psalm 119:1,2

We had such a good time and the Lord answered so many of our and your prayers. We had about 35 youth come to the retreat and it was pretty much half and half boys and girls. Actually I do need to clarify something about the ages of these youth. The ages for those people attending this retreat were to from 15 to 25 but really we had attendees from the ages of about 12 to ages of about 24. We wanted to have this first retreat with young adults so that we could minister to them about their walk with God and their need to be obedient children of the most High God but not have to baby-sit them as the camp is no where being completely ready to house younger aged children. And because there are many vacation bible schools going in at this time of year we thought that the older kids and young adults could best benefit from a 2 or 3 day retreat. All the kids showed up about 10 am on Thursday and left about 3 pm on Saturday.

We had good food…some of which my lovely wife made. She made chicken alfredo for the 40 of us and it was gggrrreeeaaattt! The “campers” kept coming back for more and more and more. I shouldn’t have been surprised since the day before we had noodles and cut up hotdogs and mayonnaise all mixed together. I know that does not sound appealing, but when we have a budget to meet, you gotta do what you gotta do…and besides, that is not an uncommon meal around these parts. We also played games and sang songs and worshipped together under the stars. Several men taught lessons and gave small ‘sermonettes’ throughout the 3 days. We also had times of prayer and times of small group discussions and we even brought a t.v. up to the mountain and watched “Facing the Giants” in Spanish one night. We didn’t have electricity but we took a battery up there and used it as the power supply. All in all we had a great time and I believe that some of the youth and young adults were moved by God to really examine their lives to see if their lives stacked up against what they had been taught and what they had learned from the bible. Praise God for His words that I quoted at the beginning of this post….for I know for a fact that those who keep His testimonies are blessed; for God has poured out His blessings on my life in amazing and unbelievable ways.

The topic for this retreat was about “crossing your own Jordan river for your own life.” More than 1/2 of the messages and discussions were on this topic and I believe that it was a very solid topic for where some of these kids are at in their lives. I taught twice; once on Friday morning and once on Saturday morning. Larry asked us to use flannel graph even though there were young adults at this retreat because he thought that they would still be able to benefit from the visual aspect that flannel graph brings. (for you that are asking yourself right now what in the world flannel graph is, I will tell you….flannel graph is using a small backdrop of a city or an ocean or a countryside scene which is made out of flannel material…then as the story is told, different characters made out of the same material are put up on the backdrop which gives life to the story as it progresses and helps people retain the story a little better…flannel graph is mainly used for little kids during Sunday School but since we were asked to use it in this case we did so and I think it worked out just fine).

Friday morning I taught on two characteristics that most of the Israelites possessed which ultimately prevented them from crossing over the Jordan into the promise land. These 2 characteristics were unbelief and fear. I used an example of fear from Exodus 14:8 –16 and 21-22 were the Israelites came up against the Red Sea and had no where to go as the Egyptians were bearing down on them ready to either kill them or take them back into captivity. The Exodus 14 text says, “And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt, and he pursued the children of Israel; and the children of Israel went out with boldness. So The Egyptians pursued them, all the horses and chariots of Pharaoh, his horsemen and his army, and overtook them camping by the sea beside Pi Hahiroth, before Baal Zephon. And when Pharaoh drew near, the children of Israel lifted their eyes, and behold, the Egyptians marched after them. So they were very afraid, and the children of Israel cried out to the LORD. Then they said to Moses, “Because there were no graves in Egypt, have you taken us away to die in the wilderness? Why have you so dealt with us, to bring us up out of Egypt? Is this not the word that we told you in Egypt, saying, ‘let us alone that we may serve the Egyptians?’ For it would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than that we should die in the wilderness.” And Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which He will accomplish for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall see again no more forever. “The LORD will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace.” And LORD said to Moses, “Why do you cry to ME? Tell the children of Israel to go forward. But lift up your rod, and stretch out your hand over the sea and divide it. And the children of Israel shall go on dry ground through the midst of the sea.” VERSES 21-22 say, “Then Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and the LORD caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea into dry land, and the waters were divided. So the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea on the dry ground, and the waters were a wall to them on their right hand and on their left.”

So you have here several things. One thing is that these Israelites had just seen God pour out 10 amazing plagues on Egypt in chapters 3–13 of Exodus and they had just seen God deliver them from 430 years of bondage. They were led out of Egypt by the LORD Himself as Exodus 13:21,22 reminds us, “And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so as to go by day and night. He did not take away the pillar of cloud by day or the pillar of fire by night from before the people.” The LORD Himself was leading them and yet while He was still leading them and within a very short period of time they went from being bold to being afraid. God’s people should never be afraid, after all I John 4:18 tells us, “There is no fear in love; put perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.” I am not saying that us Christians will not ever be in circumstances that will cause us to be concerned or worried or alarmed or troubled because we are human and we will face very difficult situations. BUT what I am saying is that God has shown Himself to us over and over and over again and we know that He is the One that protects us and leads us and provides for us so in reality we should not be fearful that we are alone or that we can not overcome these difficult situations with His help and His strength in our lives because He goes before us and fights for us as the LORD reminded Moses. We should have no fear when God is on our side.

The second characteristic that we discussed was unbelief. I spoke to “campers” about their need to believe in the Lord and not to just give lip service to Him. There are so many people today that say they believe in God and say that they live for Him but when you look at their lives and their pattern of life you can see pretty easily that the words coming out of their mouths are just that…..words….because there is no action behind their words. This is the same thing that Jesus said to the very religious leaders of His day; the scribes and Pharisees, for Jesus says to them, “Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you saying, ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth, and honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ These words of Jesus can be applied directly to the Israelites in the examples given in Exodus. They said that they believed in God and they said that they had faith in God and they said that they would be obedient to God’s commands but when the rubber met the road their actions betrayed their true hearts.

I gave one example (out of many given in Exodus) where the Israelites where shown to be unfaithful and unbelieving even though they were supposedly the children of God. To make my point I used Exodus chapter 32 specifically verses 1-4 which say, “Now when the people (Israelites) saw that Moses delayed coming down from the mountain (he was up there receiving the ten commandments from God Himself) the people gathered together to Aaron (the brother of Moses), and said to him, “Come, make us gods that shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we do not know that has become of him. And Aaron said to them, ‘Break off the golden earrings which are in the ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters, and bring them to me.’ So all the people broke off the golden earrings which were in their ears, and brought them to Aaron. And he received the gold from their hand, and he fashioned it with an engraving tool, and made a molded calf. Then they said, “This is your god, O Israel, that brought you out of the land of Egypt!”

Every time I read that passage it just makes me want to shout, “what were you guys thinking?” I mean, the LORD had just led you out of Egypt with a mighty hand and then He parted the Red Sea and you walked across on dry land and escaped from the hand of the Egyptians and the LORD was leading you around in a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night and then when a little bit of adversity comes, you say forget about the One and Only True God that actually goes before us and we will just make for ourselves a golden calf and bow down to it and call it our god. I know that many times I fail to believe in God’s promises and sometimes I doubt that He is going to do what He says He is going to do but praise God that I never doubt Him to the extent that I forsake following Him and trusting in Him and go make something else my idol and my god. I praise God for His abundant grace and mercy that helps me to persevere through the tough times and difficult situations of life even when it seems that He is not with me for I know that if I just trust in Him and I know that if I am patient and I know that if I heed the words of Moses when He said, “stand still and see the salvation of the LORD” that my God will provide for me and help me through the troublesome times that I am facing. Two verses came to my mind as I typed this last paragraph. Jude 1:24,25 which say, “Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, to God our Savior, who alone is wise, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and forever. Amen.”

So my point about these Israelites being unfaithful and unbelieving was that even though they saw the glory of God in ways that we do not today and even though they had seen the amazing miracles of God (parting the Red Sea, parting the waters of the Jordan River, getting water from a rock when there was no water around, receiving bread from heaven like rain when there was no food around, and many many more), they decided to follow their own desires and their own wants and their own ways because they were afraid of the circumstances they were in instead of trusting in God. Reminds me of another 2 verses in Joshua chapter 1. Joshua, speaking on behalf of God, says in verses 7 and 9, “Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go….Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”

Well I see that this email/post/letter is 4 pages now so I better start wrapping it up. In all actuality, I had no intention of making this post so long as I was just going to talk about how the retreat went, but when I started talking about how good our God is I just couldn’t stop. So how do I want to end this???? I guess I will just remind all of you that claim Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, to look to Him for all your needs; to find your refuge in Him and to trust in Him no matter the circumstances that you are going through. He will not leave you and He will not forsake you and He will not fail you. My brothers and sisters, remember the words of our brother Peter from long ago who said, “…God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.” I Peter 5:5-7. And for those of you that do not claim Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and do not believe in God as the supreme Creator and Ruler of all things, and for you that say that you believe in Jesus with your mouths but your hearts are far from Him, then I leave these words with you…..In Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus says, “Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

I must run for now but I look forward to sharing more good reports with you concerning the lives of these youth and young adults.

With much love,

Lance and Sarita

“The LORD is righteous in all His way, gracious in all His works. The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth.” Psalms 145:17-18



This is a close up of the hat that Larry was wearing all weekend. We made a slide show of all the photos and showed it to everyone before we left on Saturday afternoon and this was the first slide. The other photo is of the back of my shirt that I wore one day. About a week or so ago, I received a package in the mail from my dear mother and father. They sent Sarita and I some shirts from the world cup in Germany....supporting the Mexican team of course. And as for the last pic here, I just wanted everyone toPublish Post share in my pain as this is what happens after a few weeks in Mexico. I come to Mexico with no real scratches or dents on my truck and the next thing you know, you got all these "slight" imperfections. But to be honest all these were self inflicted so there is no one to blame. Trees and telephone poles just don't give very much do they.












These are photos of the those of us that ran the camp. The guy in the middle is Daniel. He is the one I told you about in my last post. If you remember, he is the one that is in "charge" of the youth up in the mountains where we hold the retreat. There are many youth in the pueblos or small communities where the camp is.
















Here are some pics of the camp. Obviously we did not have a chance to finish the bathroom, but in due time we will finish it out with block and cement or wood. As you can see, my little Sarita is always hard at work in the kitchen (yes that is a common kitchen in these parts...the kitchens in the indeginous areas are similiar to this). The girls were lucky because they got to sleep in the blue tent. If you look hard enough, you can spot Sarita and I under the big top. We put a twin mattress on top of two small benches....what a miserable night's sleep.







































These photos show the two trucks loaded down with all the things that we had to take up to and down from the mountain for the retreat. One of the photos below show Larry's 4x4 Toyota pickup getting stuck in the mud (by the way my GMC 4x4 did as well so don't think that I am knocking Toyota's). So we had to take everything up the mountain the rest of the way on foot. One of the pics shows the pickup at the bottom of the hill....you can barely see the truck. Oh, and the last pic shows my darling Sarita ALMOST falling...but she just shifted her weight and jumped to the other side of that mud pit. That's my girl!!!






























These photos show us in action as we play different games. I am not sure what the game is that everyone is playing in the second and third photo since I did not participate in that game but the game with the grey sheet shows two participants from the two different teams on either side of the sheet. When Sarita and I dropped the sheet, the person that could say the name of the other person first one that round and the loser of that round had to join the other team until there were no more players on one side of the sheet. We played this game after 3 days in the mountains because we wanted to show them the importance of team building. But to be honest, there were so many people that didn't know the other person's name....next time we gotta try harder to get them to talk with one another during the 3 days. The other game is called faith fall and you can obviously see how this game is played.....rest easy though, cause we didn't drop anybody.....well, at least not on purpose!







































These photos show small groups, me doing last minute preparations on one of my lessons....as it changed about an hour before I was to speak (praise God for His faithfulness to help me prepare on such short notice). One photo shows Sarita and I doing the flannel graph and the other shows Larry translating for me as I spoke. The last photo shows us worshiping under the stars.































These are just some random shots that we took to show various things that the youth/young adults were doing while at the camp. One photo shows us watching "Facing the Giants" on the tv we brought up there.





























These photos were taken about an hour before we left. My second lesson was on the Israelites actually crossing the Jordan River. After they crossed over into the promise land they set up memorial stones to remember the events that had just taken place. So we set up memorial stones to remember that weekend. Please pray that these youth, as well as everyone that attended, will remember what God has done and will continue to do for His people.

























Keep emailing and keep praying!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Lance and Sarah: It looks like you had a great youth retreat with good truth from the Scriptures shared. Thanks for paying the price in so many ways to be there to bring the Word of God to these youth and others. The camp looks like a treasure for these folks. We are so grateful you both are there, proclaiming the Gospel through your words and your lives of love for the people of Teopisca.

    ReplyDelete