Thursday, August 30, 2007

Various day to day photos of life here south of the border

Hello everyone!!!



This blog will be a little easier on your minds as well as on your time because this post has a lot of photos.





How about a few horses in your front yard everyday...or a sheep, or even some cows!!!! Just hang around a few hours and you will see it all.
















¨What was that. I don´t know but it was moving awefully fast. Yeeeekkksss it´s a little critter she says!!!!¨

That´s ok, cause if the broom, doesn´t get em, then the trap will, and if the trap doesn´t get em, then for sure the machette will.....know what I´m saying!!!!! Maybe a little overboard with the machette but I was not taking any chances. Fortunately, the trap won the battle (3 times thus far) so I didn´t have to start throwing iron around.



















This pics show our little friend Emellia. This is the older lady that can not walk very well and her right arm is twisted and withered a little bit and can not be used. Either I or pastor C pick her up for church evey Sunday (we have to pick her up and put her in the truck as she can not walk to the truck and get in on her own). Sarita and I go to her house every week and sing hyms (in English) to her and read to her from our Spanish bible. We read two chapters of Psalms and one Chapter of Matthew during each visit. She so looks forward to our coming each week. Last week when we got to the chapter in Matthew that spoke of King Herod having all the male children less than two years old to be killed (as he was trying to have baby Jesus killed), she covered her mouth with her good hand and and let out this little gasp and even shed a little tear as she couldn´t believe that someone would do this to little children. Sarita and I enjoy this time with her very much.
















Sarita has gotten creative with her clothes drying....we didn´t have enough line for all the clothes so she improvised(i.e. put our clothes all over the back fence).....something we have learned to do just about every day....improvise!















Sarita in her little cocina.....thanks again gran margie (and papa jerry) for the ¨big pot¨because we really needed it for the youth retreat as Sarita had to cook 5 whole chickens and she did so at one time in that her ¨big pot¨(we forgot the spanish name for it)....and she can cook up the finest homeade salsa this side of the rio grande!




















I got so sick during my 5th time of being sick down here that a doctor had to come in from the neighboring town of San Cristobal....actually I did not know he was coming but my pastor down here told him of my illness and he came to save the day....i had been sick for about 5 days with high fever and body aches and chills and all kinds of other symptoms I won´t mention and didn´t have any medicine to take and he came and gave me medicine and a shot....praise the Lord for the wisdom He gives these doctors casuse in 4 days i was totally better! His name is Dr. Ramero Marrero; he is a Christian as well as his entire family and they help many different indigenous communities down here....we have become really good friends....oh, and he and his family speak really good English so that is a treat to talk with them.
















Just some photos showing what my dear little Sarita has to go through to get groceries for the day....we forgot to get tomatoes one day and so she decided that she couldn´t wait forever to go down the street to get some...it had been raining before she went down to get the tomatoes but wasn´t raining at the time she left.....but as it happens so often down here, if you just wait a few minutes it might be raining again-and it did. We are in a low area and when it rains, our street becomes a little river (running from right to left). In the last photo I caught her as she stepped into a little hole in the street...whoooppsss, gotta love that wet cold feeling up to your ankle.






























Sarita and Amos just hanging out......This photo shows a bunch of sawdust in the back of my truck as Amos and I were about to leave to got get ready for the youth retreat (and spread the sawdust on the walkways we had made up on the top of the mountain).

















Sarita and I before I went to preach one Sunday morning. She is doing so good making our little casita look homey!!!!
















Just a few pics of the morning I preached. The youth standing beside me is Dr. Ramero´s son (his name is Jose). I didn´t know what to expect before he opened his mouth for the first time (as I had never met him) but to my very big and happy surprised he was a great translator. In close to 50 minutes, there was only one word he did not know....what a blessing from the Lord to give me someone such as Jose so that I could preach the word of God down here many lost souls...I bless your holy name this very moment my dearest Savior!















Ok, these pics show my dog Amos and his best buddy....the other dog´s name is Lobo (which means wolf in Spanish) and he does look just like a wolf. Lobo, or Limp as we affectionately call him (he only has 3 good legs) is the boss of the street. He is amazingly fast for a dog that runs with only 3 legs and he can fight like no other dog I have seen down here.....He has not lost a fight yet and most dogs immediatley put their tails between their legs when he starts to walk up to them. Do not think it strange that I mention that he fights alot because that is just a way of life down here....there are packs of dogs on every corner and they rule their turf and fight when any other dog comes by....they are no threat at all to us humans and they don´t even bark or even get up and move when anyone walks by. But anyway, Limp´s only friend is Amos. Limp has taken him under his wing and has started showing him the ropes down here in Mexico. They are best of buds and go everywhere together.
























These photos show the big tree house at the school where we take (or took) our English classes. The name of the school is La Casa en el arbol which translates into ¨tree house.¨ And what a tree house it is. There are people from all over the world that come here to learn various languages....China, France, Spain, Germany, Sweeden, Australia to name a few.
















Well that´s enough for now. We just thought that you all would enjoy seeing a little bit more of our life down here. We have many more photos to post so keep an eye out for them.


Just remember the words of John the Baptist...I must decrease and He (Jesus) must increase....I pray that you, and I, are all decreasing daily!!!


In His loving and safe arms,


Lance and Sarita


2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures of your daily life! The girls loved seeing Amos the Dog and wished you could bring him back home with you!

    We love you both...can't wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your pictures!!
    I can't wait to see you guys!
    Love,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete