Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The beauty of driving in Mexico











We left the Home Depot parking lot (after asking for directions) and took off on what we thought was the correct direction. Well, after about 25 minutes of aimless wandering around the streets of Vera Cruz I knew that we were not getting anywhere close to the highway we were looking for. I mean I had the map of Vera Cruz and it looked pretty simple to find but it certainly was not. Finally I just pulled over and told Sarah that I was going to use the trick of one of our missionary friends. A few years ago, I was driving with him through Mexico City and we were having trouble finding the right road so he paid a taxi cab to lead us to the correct road. Well that is what I did. I jumped out of the truck, flagged down a taxi cab and finally communicated to him that I wanted him to lead us to highway 190 as I followed. It was a good thing that we stopped and got some help because we were no where close. We actually went back to almost where we came from. But after about 15 minutes he stopped and told me to go straight ahead a little bit and I would be on the right road. I paid him his money and sure enough we got on the right road. Thank you Dr. Jerry for letting me see that little trick because I could have spent the whole day in Vera Cruz backtracking.

No comments:

Post a Comment