Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Military checkpoint #1




We had our first run in with the military of Mexico coming into a large town somewhere between Tampico and Verz Cruz. Off in the distance I could see a bunch of orange cones on both sides of the road and a whole lot of people walking around. As we approached closer I saw that the people were military men. The were decked out in camouflage and were sporting M-16’s. Several of the men were positioned in bunkers made out of sand bags with many others inside a makeshift hut. As we got to check point there were about 3 or 4 cars in front of us and they were just waived through but as you would guess, when the flagman saw our plates he flagged us over to the side where 3 or 4 other men were waiting to talk to us. One man came up to the window and asked for the papers to our truck and our passports and personal visas which we most readily gave to him. He then motioned for me to get out of the truck and told me to come to the back….man I was like here we go again. He asked me what we were doing and where we were going and what we had with us. I told him the best I could what we had but that was not good enough as he wanted to see for himself. (now as you remember this was the biggest thing that I worried about….getting stopped and being asked to unload all our stuff) So I took off the tarp and started opening up some of the boxes toward the back of the truck. He looked inside and pointed at some other stuff and I told him what it was and he then asked a couple of more questions and then said bueno….meaning that is good enough for me so I got back in the truck and took off. Praise God that that soldier was having a good day and didn’t want me to unload all of my stuff….honestly I would rather pay $125 than to unload our belongings.

No comments:

Post a Comment