Wednesday, July 4, 2007

It made it 987 miles at least



About 30 minutes after we stopped at the beach, we where driving along and we both heard a pop and then a loud scraping noise. We looked at each other and then almost simultaneously we said…we lost the camper topper door. See I bought the camper topper a week earlier off of Craigs list (like ebay but you don’t bid) but it didn’t have a back door…the glass door that swings up and down so you can get stuff out of the bed of the truck. Well, I got the topper for $30 so I was not too concerned and I decided to make a door myself. I went and bought some thick plexi-glass and made a template and cut the glass to fit the back of the topper. I put hinges on it so that I could raise it up and lower it down. I put a handle on it and even reinforced it with another piece of plexi-glass. I was real proud of my hand made topper door and I thought that it looked just fine. Well it might have looked fine but unfortunately it didn’t quite hold up. So back to the noise. I looked in the side mirror and there we were dragging the camper topper back door along the road. I had put a bungy cord on the door for two purposes….one to keep it shut while driving and the second thing was to keep it from falling off and hitting another car. See I know that my mechanical skills are not that good and I was not 100% that the topper door would make it through 1,650 miles of tough driving. Well it made it 987 miles but alas the camper topper door was no more. We stopped and got out and I just took some bungy cords and made sure that nothing was going to fall out and we took off from there with no other problems to tell of for the day…..we did get stopped again at another military checkpoint and the same scenario took place with me getting out and opening up a few boxes but he let us go as well. We made it to Vera Cruz and stayed in a hotel right on the beach for $42. You can’t beat Pizza Hut pizza on the balcony as you look out over the ocean. Now that was worth all the trouble of the last 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment